Ben Derudder (PhD in Geography, Ghent University, 2006) is Professor of Human Geography at Ghent University's Department of Geography, and an Associate Director of the Globalization and World Cities research group and network (GaWC). Previousy, he also held positions as a Marie Curie Research Fellow at Monash University (Melbourne, Australia, 2011-2013) and as a Senior Visiting Professor at the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Nanjing (2014-2015). Enriched by study leaves at the University of California (Berkeley), the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (Paris) and New York University, his research focuses on (1) the conceptualization and empirical analysis of world city networks, (2) the globalization of scientific praxis (in geography in particular), and (3) the interaction between (social) network analysis and spatial modeling techniques. He teaches, and has taught, a range of courses on human geography and urban geography at graduate and postgraduate levels.
His work on world city networks has been published in leading academic journals, and he has co-authored the 2nd edition of 'World City Network: A Global Urban Analysis' (Routledge, 2015, with Peter J. Taylor), one of the key textbooks in this literature. Co-recipient of the 2010 Wiley–Blackwell Publishers Area Prize for New Research in Geography and the 2012 National Council for Geographic Foundation’s (NGCE) ‘Best Article’ awards, he has also co-edited a number of volumes on world city-formation, including a recent collection entitled ‘International Handbook of Globalization and World Cities’ (Edward Elgar, 2012, with P.J. Taylor, F. Witlox & M. Hoyler).
Prof. Derudder currently serves as the Chair of the Edcuation Board for the undergraduate and postgradute progammes in Geography, Geomatics and Surveying. He is involved in Ghent University's China Platform, a member of the Steering Committee of the Ghent Centre for Global Studies, and serves as the editor of the Geography section of Cogent Social Sciences. Having advised various urban government agencies in different parts of the world (including Dublin, Lille, Abu Dhabi, and Milan), he has supervised, coordinated and carried out a wide range research projects funded bya wide range of scientific bodies, national, regional and urban government agencies, and private companies.
Membership of Editorial Boards and Committees
- Editor, Geography section of Cogent Social Sciences
- Editorial Board Geography Compass (Urban Geography Section)
- Guest editor of special issues of Geografiska Annaler B, Urban Studies, Global Networks, Journal of Urban Technology, Belgeo, and the Journal of Economic and Social Geography (TESG)
A full overview of publications can be found at https://biblio.ugent.be/person/801001462333
Key book publications include:
- Taylor, P.J., Derudder, B., Saey, P. & Witlox, F. (eds.) (2007) Cities in Globalization. Theories, policies, practices. London: Routledge.
- Beaverstock, J., Derudder, B., Faulconbridge, J. & Witlox, F. (eds.) (2009) Business Travel in the Global Economy. London: Ashgate.
- Derudder, B., Witlox, F. & Rozenblat, C. (eds.) (2010) Commodity Chains and World Cities. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Derudder, B., Hoyler, M., Taylor, P.J. & Witlox, F. (eds.) (2012) The International Handbook of Globalization and World Cities. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Taylor, P., Beaverstock, J., Derudder, B., Faulconbridge, J., Harrison, J., Hoyler, M., Pain, K. & Witlox, F. (ds.) (2013) Routledge Major Works: Global Cities. London: Routledge.
- Taylor, P.J. & Derudder, B. (2015) World City Network: a Global Urban Analysis (2nd edition). London and New York: Routledge.
Key journal publications include:
- Derudder B., Taylor P.J., Witlox F. & Catalano G. (2003) Hierarchical Tendencies and Regional Patterns in the World City Network: A Global Urban Analysis of 234 Cities. Regional Studies 37(9), pp. 875-886.
- Derudder, B. (2006) On conceptual confusion in empirical analyses of a transnational urban network. Urban Studies, 43(11), pp. 2027-2046.
- Faulconbridge, J.R., Beaverstock, J.V., Derudder, B. & Witlox, F. (2009) Corporate Ecologies of Business Travel in Professional Service Firms: Working towards a Research Agenda. European Urban and Regional Studies 16, 295-308.
- Brown, E., Derudder, B., Parnreiter, C., Pelupessy, W., Taylor, P.J. & Witlox, F. (2010) World city networks and global commodity chains: towards a world-systems’ integration, Global Networks 10(1), 12-34.
- Bassens, D., Derudder, B. & Witlox, F. (2010) Searching for the Mecca of finance: Islamic financial services and the world city network. AREA, 42(1), 35-46. (Winner of the 2010 Wiley–Blackwell Publishers Area Prize for New Research in Geography)
- Derudder, B., Taylor P., Ni P., De Vos A., Hoyler M., Hanssens H., Bassens D., Huang J., Witlox F., Shen, W. & Yang X. (2010) Pathways of Change: Shifting Connectivities in the World City Network, 2000-2008. Urban Studies, 47(9), 1861-1877.
- Good, P., Derudder, B. & Witlox F. (2011) The regionalization of Africa: Delineating Africa’s subregions using airline data. Journal of Geography, 110(5), 179-190. (Winner of the 2012 National Council for Geographic Foundation’s (NGCE) ‘Best Article’ award)
- Taylor, P.J., Derudder, B., Hoyler, M. & Ni, P. (2013) New Regional Geographies of the World as Practised by Leading Advanced Producer Service Firms in 2010. Transactions, Institute of British Geographers, 38(3), 497-511.
- Liu, X, Derudder, B., Liu, Y., Shen, W. & Witlox, F. (2013) A stochastic actor-based modelling of the evolution of an intercity corporate network. Environment and Planning A, Vol. 45 (4), pp. 947-966.
- Van de Vijver, E., Derudder, B. & Witlox, F. (2014) Exploring causality in trade and air passenger travel relationships: the case of Asia-Pacific, 1980-2010. Journal of Transport Geography, 34, 142-50.
- Taylor, P.J., Derudder, B., Faulconbridge, J., Hoyler, M. & Ni, P. (2014) Advanced Producer Service Firms as Strategic Networks, Global Cities as Strategic Places. Economic Geography, 90(3), 267-291.
- Hennemann, S. & Derudder, B. (2014) An Alternative Approach to the Calculation and Analysis of Connectivity in the World City Network. Environment and Planning B , 41, 392-412.
- Liu, X, Derudder, B. & Liu, Y. (2015) Regional geographies of the intercity corporate network: Exponential random graph models of regional network formation. Papers in Regional Science, 94(1), 110-126.
- Van Meeteren, M. Poorthuis, A., Derudder, B. & Witlox, F. (2015) Pacifying Babel’s Tower: using scientometric analysis to de-stretch the concept of polycentricity. Urban Studies, in press.
- Liu, X., Wu, K. & Derudder, B. (2015) Measuring polycentric urban development in China: An intercity transportation network perspective. Regional Studies, in press.
- Derudder, B. & Liu, X. (2015) How international is the Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers? A social network analysis perspective. Environment and Planning A, in press.